S.Q.U.I.D. Surfer: a fairly unusual ride! It's hard to explain exactly what this does, but it consists of six gondolas on long metal booms suspended just above the surface of the water. These rotate around a central turntable at quite a speed. To increase the fun, spectators can set off pnumatic 'depth charges' from various points around the ride.
Originally named the 'Wave Surfer' and considered part of LEGO City, this teamed up with the Jungle Coaster when it was built to form the new Adventure Land. It kept the same name until the 2012 season, when it was renamed and rethemed to match Atlantis.
What is it?
- Zierer Jet Skis
- Opened April 2000
- Two guests per gondola, six gondolas per turntable, two turntables
What does it do?
Gondolas travel around the turntable at a fair speed. Riders can steer the rudder under the gondola to move it towards and away from the centre. (The trick is to hold the steering wheel all the way to the left whilst the ride spins up to speed, then quickly swing out to the right). Spectators can get riders wetter by setting off 'depth charges'.
- Must be a minimum of 0.9m tall to ride
- Guests under 1.3m tall must be accompanied by an adult
- Maximum of one adult per vehicle
- Upper and/or lower body control is needed
- Not recommended for guests with: back or neck complaints; heart conditions; high blood pressure; broken limbs; pregnant guests.
A really fun and original ride! You will get wet, but only slightly - you're actually more likely to get wet whilst queuing on the bridges! The queuing can be quite long at times, but it's certainly worth it if you have never ridden before.